UAS Visual Observer and Chemical Handler (on-site)
Guardian Agriculture is developing large multicopters for applying agricultural chemicals to high-value crops. Relative to existing plane- and helicopter-based crop spraying solutions, our systems radically improve precision and safety while reducing chemical use, reducing impact on pollinating insects, and minimizing opportunities for organisms to acquire chemical resistance.
Guardian is a small, multi-disciplinary team of talented engineers, technicians, and operators who prioritize high reliability product and service design over exploratory R&D. We are a hands-on team and split our time between development work, system testing, and field deployments. We value safety, thoughtful design, teamwork, and a growth mindset as we scale the organization and build an autonomous system that farmers can trust.
Guardian Agriculture is seeking a high caliber Visual Observer and Chemical Handler to participate in the development and deployment of large agricultural eVTOL craft. These systems will be deployed across the US in support of increasing crop productivity and yield through the efficient application of various agricultural chemicals on crops. As this company is forging a new branch of an enormous industry, the candidate will have a significant impact on the future of agriculture and technology. A candidate with a strong drive to have a meaningful and positive impact in the world will benefit from this role.
As a Visual Observer and Chemical Handler, the candidate will have a direct impact on the success of the test teams tasked with developing these complex systems in a fast paced, challenging, yet supportive environment. The role requires the candidate to be a reliable self-starter, capable of working in the absence of direct supervision and a willingness to get their hands dirty. The candidate will report directly to the UAS California Site Lead.
What You Will Do:
- Support safe operation of large autonomous agricultural eVTOL craft during development and test efforts, leading to the application of plant protection and nutrition products on agricultural crops
- Inspect and perform basic maintenance on eVTOL equipment
- Transport equipment to agricultural fields, set up safe boundaries and operations equipment
- Conduct field survey and mapping analysis
- Refill craft payloads, safely handle, rinse and dispose of containers in contact with crop protection products
- Safely and effectively apply crop protection products to agricultural fields
- Complete flight test reports, application reports, craft flight and maintenance logs
- Perform other duties as assigned or required
To Be Successful You Will Have:
- Ability to acquire Part 107 certificate
- Ability to learn and understand UAS visual observer best practices
- Ability to occasionally lift 80 lbs, bend, kneel, crawl, and navigate shop spaces as well as ground conditions that are typically found on agricultural food crop fields, i.e. loose tilled highly variable terrain including plants
- Valid state issued driver’s license
- Ability to get a respirator fit test
- Proficient with common hand tools and light power tools
- Ability to operate vehicles while towing a trailer
- Ability to work as a crewmember of a flight team
- Must be able to read, analyze and interpret written instructions
- Ability to learn detailed and specific procedures and processes and execute them accurately and efficiently
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, and ratios to practical applications
- High school Diploma or equivalent
- Previous agricultural experience
- An understanding of plant protection, chemistries, and fertilizer
- Commercial driver’s license
- Conversational Spanish
- Veterans are encouraged to apply
- Travel, sometimes prolonged, to assist in testing at headquarters and other FAA approved test locations
- Daily travel to job sites for site standup, system integration, program support, and/or testing
Flexible time off, competitive salary, stock options, free company lunch every day, comprehensive benefits package, an extremely well-equipped fabrication shop, and the opportunity to build and use play with flying machines that will have an environmental impact.